CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

THE POLAR POP STORY

Iceman made reference to "the polar pop story" in his comment on the BIG MOVE. It's one of my many tales that happens to be his favorite, so I thought I would share it with all of you. I love me some polar pops.... you know, the big gas station fountain sodas... "stays cooler longer." At work we would often go on polar pop runs to the gas station to buy a round for the newsroom. I was on one of those runs when I had an interesting experience. Those of you who know me well know I do not appreciate rude people, and often have a way of putting them in their place publicly before I leave the scene of the crime. Here's what happened: I pulled into the gas station parking lot and there are more people there than I've ever seen. There's nowhere to park, every pump is full and I'm pulling through the lot and see one spot.... when the guy behind me whips around from the left and takes it! I had to slam on my breaks to avoid hitting him. So I'm cussing him in my car and then I thought oh whatever, I'll wait for a spot, maybe park next door, whatever. When I finally go inside, I recognize the man who cut me off and he is stocking gum and candy at the gas station, so in one way or another, he worked there! Now if he was some everyday Joe in a hurry, having a bad day, I wouldn't have said anything. But he was an employee who cut off a customer and was sitting on a stool eating a beef stick when I walked in. I was furious... so I asked him did you not see my car in front of you or are you just that much of an ***hole? He said excuse me? So I repeated the question... did you not see my car in front of you or are you just that much of an ***hole? He said I don't know how to answer that. (At this point everyone in the gas station had stopped what they were doing and watched us.) I said... let me make it easier for you... did you see my vehicle in front of yours driving into the gas station? He said yes, I said okay then, I guess you're just a huge ***hole. Then I proceeded to the polar pop counter, filled up the 3 beverages I needed, walked up to the counter to pay... then I thought twice, smiled kindly at the clerk and I said these are on him! Have a great weekend : ) I winked at him on the way out.

I also once bought a rose for a McDonald's drive-thru woman who literally threw ketchup packets through the window of my car. One hit me in the face. I promise you I did nothing to provoke it but she had a manager who was screaming at her in the most demeaning way and she was in tears. I think she took some of her frustration out on me. I figured I could scream or get her fired and make her day worse.... or buy her a rose and give it to her in front of her manager saying how hard it must be to work with a jerk like that. She feels better, he feels guilty, and I feel nice that I just made someone's day better. Everyone wins! I strongly suggest the "rose"tactic as well.

0 comments: