CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, January 11, 2008

THE BIG MOVE


Well I wrote in my profile I wouldn't be around here forever because of my career. In the news business, if you want to do it long-term, I think it's very important to get experience in a big market, whether you want to stay in a big market or not. Having said that, I am continuing my news producing career in Greenville/Spartanburg, South Carolina. It's a huge market... Covers 30 counties in both North & South Carolina. It's market 36 (for those of you who don't know about news markets...every city is numbered....New York 1, LA 2, Chicago, 3, etc. Peoria is 117, so this station is a big jump!) My boyfriend, who is also a producer, is making the move as well. We are excited, scared, anxious, nervous... And everything else you can think of. I consider myself very lucky to have started out in Peoria. Not only is this market wonderful to work in, but I work for a station with respectable integrity, morales, and the ability to judge what is newsworthy and what is not... Despite what the other stations do. I couldn't have found a better place to lay a foundation for this business. But now is the time to move, before I have kids and solid attachments here, I need to spread my wings and get that experience and then decide what I want to do with it. Maybe I'll end up back home as a news director someday, who knows? But don't worry, no matter what some people say:

YOU *CAN* HAVE ROOTS AND WINGS.

And Now Is My Time To Fly....!

- Thank you Scott Janz for your post about me leaving HOI. You have been a great friend and business colleague. Scott has helped with a lot of my interactive brainstorming at HOI and I learned a lot from him. Please take some time to read what he wrote on www.scottjanz.com.

- Thanks also to several other local bloggers who were involved with Connected and helped me get a handle on the segment. You guys and gals are all great!

7 comments:

Katie said...

Congratulations! I have really enjoyed your blog and hope you keep writing. I wish you all the best!!

Anonymous said...

As much as I hate to see you go..you do need to fly. If you remember I had flown and then when my oldest was born, I flew back home to nest. You are and have always been the type of person that wouldn't be content with the could of, would of and should of's. I have no doubt you two will excel and soar the skies. Congrats! and I also hope that you continue your blogs. Hey, it might be the way to keep in touch with the family :) Without family around, you might just get that book done before you two settle also. As I said before, I have no doubt you will reach that goal also. I'll see you before you leave. Thanks for being there for my girl's in the past also!

Ramble On said...

I , too, have enjoyed reading your blog. If you start a new one, be sure to post a link so we can follow you. Your "Tales" will be a good read, no matter where they are from!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for commenting about the blog. I will continue to post on this blog since a lot my thoughts and ramblings aren't Peoria -specific. Plus I'll be back to visit all the time!

Anonymous said...

Megan....
good luck to you and scott...We`will miss you...could you tell the polar pop story one more time!
Iceman

Mark said...

I'm gonna miss you guys...thats all I can say right now. I'll have a lot more blabbering on Saturday.

-MW

Jennifer said...

Wow, congratulations. It must be hard to leave your comfort zone, but it really seems that you are doing the right thing.

Good luck. I hope you love your new community and co-workers.