CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, December 7, 2007

PLEASE DON'T BITE!!!????!

I had a lunch meeting the other day with several people in the community, some law enforcement, some school administrators, etc. As we were leaving we somehow got on the subject of kids in school. I heard some stories that anger me to no end! A school administrator mentioned how a student had recently bit her, and went on to explain how she was trained to get out of a bite. WHAT???!!! It is horrible that it's even necessary to train teachers how to restrain a kid, how to get out of a bite, what to do if they hang on and rip your clothing. Let me clarify these are not troubled kids, and they are not young kids. They are junior high students that are perfectly normal. The officer contributed to this conversation with run-ins he use to have when teaching D.A.R.E. The most alarming part of this conversation is the parents who instantly pull their kids from a teacher's class and create a mess for the school administrators to defend their punk children. Let me say a few things:
I fully understand there are times when a child is treated unfairly and by all means parents, stick up for your kids. HOWEVER, if your child is throwing things at a teacher's head or biting a principal, I would sure hope you would discipline them and EXPECT the school to do the same.
It's so sad how this generation of kids has lost all respect and any fear of their elders, namely... teachers. Teachers have lost all disciplinary control... they can't even blink the wrong way at a child or someone is screaming "unfair!" When I was in grade school, if I even dreamed of that behavior, my teacher would lay me out, and my parents would say great job...she'll get it again at home. My parents weren't mean people or violent to their children by any means, but they knew what discipline was and they taught me to respect people in authority. They would defend me to no end if they were certain I did nothing wrong, but if I was throwing something at my teacher's head, you better bet I would fear their wrath... and that's how it should be. I could go on about this forever, but I'll wait for some comments...

2 comments:

Mark said...

I went to a Lutheran school from K-8 and we were really well-behaved. Why?
Because for that entire eight years we had small classes (10-15 kids), loving teachers and involved parents.

We weren't perfect by any stretch, but our teachers demanded respect and our parents had their back. There was no fear of lawsuits or violent parents. I'm not going to say we were better behaved because of our religious teachings, but it sure didn't hurt!

I was never spanked as a kid and I never spanked my kids(just a few love taps), but hearing stories like these make me think we should employ drastic measures. A stockade maybe?

Ramble On said...

We see it every day on the street, at the mall, in the grocery store and almost anywhere there are two or more youth. Makes one wonder what society will be like in another twenty years.