CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

RETAIL BREAKDOWN

It's no surprise the economy is a mess and retail outlets are suffering. I, personally, spent more this holiday season than any other I do believe. I didn't exactly keep track but I spent more on my nieces and nephew this year because they're getting older and the stuff they're into costs more. My husband and I also make more than we did last year at this time, so it seemed to make sense. But the same is not true for most people. I did notice a lot of people walking the mall, but not many people were checking out. Lines were not long, things were not crazy. I have to say Christmas shopping was not stressful and I actually enjoyed it. The future of this country, though, scares me. The fear for most people is the worst part because everyone will pull in the reigns just in case they end up on the chopping block or get laid off. It's the smart thing to do but it won't help the economy any. We've backed ourselves into quite a corner, or "they" have or whomever. Regardless, I have a feeling we are all about to see some things that will make us very uncomfortable. We'll no longer be on top, seem so untouchable, or live beyond our means. A large reality check is in store for us all. Working in news, I obviously have fears of my own. My news company has seen layoffs and there is a sort of cloud looming over us wondering if there will be more and if it will affect the news department. This is a bad time for news right now. Not only are we struggling with the internet, and people changing the way they get news, but newspapers are struggling. Most stations own newspapers, so cuts must be made across the board to make up for those losses. Right now, my husband and I are thankful to have a job, any place, anywhere. Here's to hoping for all of you as well!

0 comments: