CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, December 3, 2007

A NATIONAL PROBLEM

I'd like to take this opportunity to express an extreme concern I have for this nation. It's a problem I see on a local level right here in Peoria, it's prevalent in surrounding counties, and it proves to be a growing problem across the United States. At issue... is tacky holiday decorations....OMG! It is out of control. I am all for festivity, I say go hog wild on lights and garland and the whole nine yards. But there is a fine line between a festive "all out" attitude and raw tackiness. I realize I'm inventing words to describe this plague, but someone has to get a handle on it. I think I will start taking pictures of the most tacky displays I can find (and some good ones) and share them with you. Please do the same!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I nominate my mom's house. She is constantly adding to her LARGE collection of holiday decorations. I personally think its a waste to spend so much time and money on decorating your house for a month or two, then storing everything away in plastic totes for 10 months out of the year. I'm sorry, but nobody needs a 5 foot, talking, moving Santa in their house.

Ramble On said...

Will look forward to the pictures. As for me, I quit decorating several years ago. Do not even bring a fake tree up from the basement. Bah humbug.

Anonymous said...

I must add I am *not* a fan of the large blow up snow globes. Those are gaining in popularity and it's so sad...

My Flock Rocks! said...

Okay...I'll fess up, I just bought the leg lamp and have it displayed in my bay window! I don't know why I felt the need to get it! Tacky? You betcha!
I'd love to see some pictures too...I'll let you know if one of them is MY house! :)

Katie said...

I think there is a difference between tacky and tacky with a sense of humor. The leg lamp definitely falls under the later. But inflatable yard ornament anything, especially snow globes, is just flat out awful!

Billy Dennis said...

I'm tellin' ya, Festivus is the way to go. All you need is a single aluminum pole. Undecorated. If you feel really festive, write the word "festivus" on a blank white sheet of paper and tape it to a window or your front door.

Anonymous said...

I give the lamp leg a free pass... because it's funny. There is certainly a difference between tacky decorations and choosing something because it's humorous. Plus, as my boyfriend points out "It's a major award."

My Flock Rocks! said...

Meghan...my husband said the same thing! "It's a major award" After Christmas he's putting in down in the basement by his bar! Still laughing...it must be a "guy" thing!

Anonymous said...

Hey Ash, that Santa is pretty darn cool. At least his body don't shake all over like one of the Santa's I've seen before. Maybe your mom's is just sober :) Meghan, maybe you better wait until after Christmas to come by...I do that Christmas all over the house thing. Ok, if you come before that...NO CAMERA :)