CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, December 17, 2007

INSPIRATIONAL VETERAN...AND SO MUCH MORE

I was lucky enough to cover another story that changed my outlook on life. It's about a veteran who has had one hell of a life. It's a story you can't possibly do justice to in a 2 minute long piece for the news, but I did my best. He is a musician, and can play pretty much any and every instrument. He's a forester and has his masters from Purdue University. He suffers from a broken life, some misfortunes by choice, and some life handed to him. But what astounds me is he managed through all of that to hang on to some kind of spark that is evident when you meet him. He was homeless for 15 years. He may not say that to you if you ask him because he sometimes chose that life and therefore didn't consider himself homeless, but by most people's definition, that's what he was. He is full of knowledge and wisdom and strength, even though he calls himself a broken man. He's stern, yet fragile. He's extremely humorous, although he sees the seriousness in this nation and its problems. One thing I noticed and didn't write about is during my day with him, he complimented every person we passed. He lives in the Phoenix House in the South Side Office of Concern. It houses 30 men who are in similar situations as he...every person who passed in the hallway he would introduce me to, then compliment and say what a great person they were and why. He played on everyone's strengths... which is something some of us less broken could certainly do more often. Here's a guy with every reason to be bitter toward the world and everyone in it, yet he overcomes his demons to make others feel as though they shine. Truly inspiring.....
His story isn't as emotional in print without his song behind it, but still worth reading... Click here.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once again, great job. I hope this experience helped counterbalance your earlier experience at Thanksgiving time. In my job I don't work directly with our differantly abled consumers yet I try to go and chat with them once in awhile. If I am having a bad day, just going and talking to these worthy individuals helps me to realize that my days aren't that bad. Great job on the story!