CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

PEORIA'S ON COCAINE

I recently covered a story on community organizations that offered free meals to people on Thanksgiving. When arriving at the story, three people I can only assume were homeless sniffed a line of coke right in front of me. They had no concern that the media was watching them and only a few feet away. They entered the establishment for their meal, only to leave halfway through to step outside and do more. They came back in demanding a second meal, and of course, they got it. It was an eye-opening experience... I can't say I was surprised they did cocaine, but more at their blatent care-free attitude of doing it in public. When they walked outside, they stood in front of a clear door and didn't even bother to go around the corner. It's so accepted in that part of town around that kind of crowd, it's the norm for them. God bless the people who pass no judgement and continue to open the door and offer them necessities no matter how ungreatful they are. So this Thanksgiving I gave thanks for having people in this world who serve those that need them most...

6 comments:

Billy Dennis said...

Back when I was in college, I went to a party at a friend's place. Some of us were sitting at the kitchen table, sipping beers and talking shop, and we smelled something odd. It wasn't the acrid odor of marijuana; that would not have surprised us. It was a neighbor, who had whipped out a crap pipe.

This was the middle 1980s.

Back in th3e late 70s early 80s at least it was assumed that people would blow weed in a social situation. I've been in bars where one hitters were out in the open, but a game of quarters could get you kicked out.

These days, some folks hesitate to even ask if cigarette smoking is OK.

I have never been anywhere where people were doing lines. At least not where I could see it.

Anonymous said...

Some people are raised in total disfunction and have no one to care about them or no one to look up to and unfortunately, I guess some might think society owes them. Maybe they don't care if they get caught because they figure a warm night in jail is a night off the streets. It is sad yet I guess when you have nothing, maybe you live for the moment and if it is a focusing on a high, it takes you away from reality.

Randall said...

I have to wonder why you and your camera person didn't tape them using cocaine. I mean if you thought they were homeless, they apparently had the money to buy cocaine and feed their habit. It seems to me that after taping them, I would have called the police and had them arrested. That would have opened up 3 places for some people who really need the services of the place you were at and it would have taken 3 cocaine customers off the streets. I just don't understand how newspeople would watch a crime and let it go.

Anonymous said...

Billy,
A crap pipe? They were smoking poo?

Billy Dennis said...

Thus, the origin of the phrase: "Hey, this is some good sh*t, man."

Anonymous said...

I am a reporter. Had I seen that happening, I would have taken pictures of it and written a column regarding it. That was poor reporting on your part. Perhaps, you made it up to get something started on this board??? That whole story does not add up. I have never heard of a cocaine-user eat after doing it. Are you sure they were doing cocaine? Maybe they were snorting powder from donuts?!?!