CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, February 9, 2009

WHEN RECESSION HITS HOME

Layoffs that have been spiraling out of control in recent months have hit home for my husband and I. 11 positions were cut from our news station, and he was one of them. The struggle now is handling wedding bills and home improvement costs (see broken pipe story below) while trying to find a job that remotely comes close to his former pay scale. It's a boat millions of Americans are in right now and our only hope is that this is a blessing in disguise... An opportunity that will allow him to pursue something he can once again be passionate about.
I've had a lot of people say to me, "I'm surprised it's hitting news." But they shouldn't be. Advertising dollars pay for news and when the car dealerships aren't selling cars, they can't afford to advertise, therefore news stations lose money. Everything in our economy is a domino effect... A constant reminder of how much we all rely on each other. When one of us falls, we all fall. I think it's an eye opener for everyone complaining about bailouts. I don't know how I personally feel about bailout money because sure... Banks and auto makers and other large corporations made a lot of mistakes that got themselves in the boat they're in now. However, look at the aftermath. Once again, when one of us falls, we all fall. The fallout of the auto industry and banks that have collapsed is evident across the world. I do not have any answers as to what it will take to fix this, but I don't think it will happen any time soon.

0 comments: